Sunday, October 08, 2006

Kelly Can't Eat

Okay, that's not quite true. She can eat. And she is eating. But she can't eat an entire meal at one sitting.

Other than when she was so sick as a puppy (Maybe I'll tell that story at some point in the future) the only time Kelly does not eat is when we are traveling. She HATES to travel and will dump her bowl and scatter the food all over to show her displeasure.

Her usual "at home" behavior when presented with a bowl of food is to scarf it down almost before the bottom of the bowl hits the floor. In fact she eats so fast that as a young dog I use to scatter the food across the floor of her crate instead of giving it to her in a bowl in order to slow her down as I was constantly worried about her choking!

For the last 3-4 days she greets each bowl with her usual frenzied hunger, eats about half.. and then quits. At first I was a bit worried, but then I realized the 42 puppies inside her tummy ate taking up so much room she can't fit an entire meal in their all at once. So she is now getting fed about 5 times a day with little meals each time.

She's happy, I'm happy.