Sunday, October 22, 2006

We're done!

It's been an hour and a half, Kelly is resting comfortably and the puppies are all sleeping after nursing for the last hour.

5 puppies in 1 hours 40 minutes. Not too shabby.

I want to mention what makes this litter extra special.

3 years ago Kelly ate a pair of pantyhose that caused an intestional blockage.It took 4 vets, three surgeries, a couple plasma transfusions and a lot of prayers to save her. She lost part of her stomach and a foot of her intestines. She was 8 months old.

She made a complete recovery but the One Big Question was whether she could have puppies. I was urged to spay her at the time, the vet was concerned about surgical adhesions getting in the way of a normal pregnancy and delivery. I left her intact so I could show her, never sure that I would breed her.

I only decided to breed her after consulting with multiple other vets who all said it probably wouldn't be a problem until she tried to deliver. Well it wasn't a problem :)

I am so proud of Kelly!! Now I have to tend to a bunch of other dogs who have been **ANGELS** today even though they knew something really interesting was going on. Not a peep out of any of them the entire day.

Pictures tomorrow!!!