Saturday, October 28, 2006

Q & A

Several people have written to me or left comments asking about the colored spots on the puppies. What am I using to make them?

Sharpie permanent markers.

Believe it or not, even though they smell *awful*, they are non-toxic.

Claudette asks:

Does everybody have dew claws and do you have all removed?

Yes, all 7 puppies had dewclaws and they were all removed. They only had front dewclaws which has been true of all the litters I've ever had except the first one. A few of those puppies had rear dewclaws as well as front ones. I've since been told that it is typical of the line that litter was from.

The dewclaw removal went as expected yesterday. The vet did a good job, it was over quickly but both the puppies and Kelly were upset afterwards. They did not sleep well last night, so neither did I. Sometimes I think I should skip having the dewclaws removed, but if they remain, and are "loose" on the leg, they can be easily injured in the future, and that can be very painful and can require surgery to fix. So the puppies go thru a relatively minor process now to avoid a potentially major one later.

As far as I know the camera should be up 7 x 24. If it's down for an extended period of time, please leave a comment or email me and let me know!