Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Time Has Come.....

7 AM temp: 100.3

.... to start taking Kelly's temperature. For the next few days I'll take it twice a day. The I'll start checking it 4 times a day.

Why?

It's the most reliable way I know of to tell when the puppies are coming.

A normal temperature for a dog is around 101-102 degrees. But every dog is different and so I need to establish what is "normal" for Kelly. I'll do that over the next few days by taking her temperature several times during the day.

At somepoint in the next few weeks there will be a dramatic temperature drop. It may go as low as 96 degrees. Most dogs experience this temperature drop and it usually means pups are due within 24 hours. In some cases it may mean just a few hours! When Kachina's temperature dropped I had puppies in less than 10 hours.

Aside from using the temperature drop as an indicator that pups are due soon, it's important to monitor so that you know if there is a potential problem. If the temperature drops and stays down for a long period of time and there are no signs of labor, it may be an indication that there is a problem and that a Cesarian Section may be needed, or at the very least, a trip to the vet for check up.

I'll be positng Kelly's temperature in the chart on the sidebar over to the right regularly.