Tuesday, November 28, 2006

This is Really Gross.... But....

.... those of you who have been reading this blog from the beginning, and the previous ones, know that the thing about this whole "puppy thing" that fascinates me the most is the instinct the mom dog displays.

How does she know what to do and when to do it?

In past litters I've had mom dogs who, when the puppies reach a certain age, go out and catch "varmints" and bring them back (or try) to their pups. Aliy is the champ, bringing back literally dozens of ground squirrels. Raven tried to bring her kids a baby skunk. [Edited to add: The mom dogs try to feed their kids this way, but trust me... I don't let them!!]

Kelly has never been much of a hunter. Just not something she enjoys. She'll take her meals in a bowl, thank you very much. So I had wondered what she'd do when she got to the point where she no longer wanted to nurse, but knew her kids needed to be fed, and maybe didn't realize I'd take care of it for her.

I have suspected the answer for several days now, based on "evidence" found in the whelping box. LAst night I saw the proof.

She is regurgitating her dinner for the puppies. I told you it was gross. And am I not kind that I did NOT provide pictures?

I've been seeing some spots on the bedding in the mornings that looked like possibly someone had thrown up. And they were big enough spots that I didn't think it was one of the puppies. Last night I caught it happening.

Like I said, gross. But very very natural and to me, very fascinating. Also given that the food was adult sized dog food nuggets and not digested and the pups were all over it, I guess I no longer need to put their little tiny puppy kibble thru the blender to turn it into mush. And now I know why sometimes they are totally not hungry when I think they should be.

Hey, when you read my blog you get the WHOLE story.....