Saturday, November 04, 2006

What's Going On In There?


Those of you who watch the Kelly-Cam may see me in the whelping box with the puppies several times a day. Besides admiring the puppies, what am I doing?

If I'm sitting there with a towel over my lap, I'm feeding the puppies yogurt. This happens 3 or so times a day. As usual, around Day 5, I start to see some "digestive upset" in my puppies. The vets tells me this is because Mom is feeding them too well. A little yogurt seems to keep things normal and a lot less smelly (I know, that was TMI!)

If I'm sitting there with a big silver mixing bowl and a handful of Sharpies, it's weigh-in time. The pups get weighed and marked twice a day. The bowl is sitting on digital scale which reads down to the tenth of an ounce.

If you happen to catch the whelping box when it's empty, I'm changing the bedding. The pups go in to a big cardboard box, I prop the whelping box (which has no bottom) up on cans of tomatoes, pick up the old bedding and lay down new bedding. Then the pig rail and pupppies go back in, much to Kelly's great relief.

What's New??

All 7 puppies are up on their feet. Unsteady but moving. The REALLY big news? Yellow opened her eyes today!!


Yes.

I was outside.

In the dirt.

In a hole.

Want to make something of it?