Saturday, December 23, 2006

Oh! The Drama!

(Nina and Echo Go Home)

Mama Kelly says "More people are coming today, you puppies better behave!"

Donna and Mary came to pick up Echo (Black Boy) and Nina (Yellow Girl) today. Unlike John and Becky, they didn't have to battle any blizzards to get here. The sun was shining, the snow is melting, their flight from Houston was on time. They arrived at my house about 11:30.

What could possibly go wrong?

About 30 minutes after Mary and Donna had arrived, just after they had met their puppies and about the time we were starting to look at the paperwork, my husband comes downstairs and says "Ilsa just jumped the fence."

(It should be noted here that although my fence is 5 feet high and electrified, the recent snow caused drifts in some spots that brought the fence level down to less than a foot. Yes, that means 4 foot snow drifts. Which are smaller than the 6 foot drifts in my kennel runs. Yesterday I had checked the areas of drifts and no paw prints came within 5 feet of the fence. They respect the electrical properties of the fence and don't get near it, even when it's not capable of shocking them because it's buried under snow. Or so I thought.)

I look out the window and sure enough there's Ilsa headed down the road at top speed. I apologize profusely to Mary and Donna, my husband gets in the truck, I get in the van and we go in hot pursuit. By this time Max has also hopped over the fence. The last I see of the terrible twosome they are heading down a dead end street and across an open field.

I drive around for 15 minutes or so then remember there were OTHER DOGS OUTSIDE with Max and Ilsa. Where are they now? I think I remember bringing Sam in....

I go home and sure enough Sam is in, and (thank goodness) Mary and Donna brought Taiya in. No sign of Ilsa or Max. I leave my cell phone number with Mary and Donna and head back out. Again, apologizing profusely.

Periodically I run into my husband. Neither of us has seen them. I am beginning to feel totally panicked. These are my BABIES!!!!!

After about another 15-20 minutes my cell phone rings! It's Donna and Mary!! Max and Ilsa are in front of the house!!!

Donna and Mary are holding down the fort, they can't catch them, but they are keeping them interested enough so they are not leaving. I get home and without too much trouble manage to catch Ilsa.

Max is another story. He takes off into the neighbors pasture where Max the Herding Dog discovers their horses. Well at least they keep him from going any further. He circles them. He stalks them. He wants them to MOVE and they won't.

I knock on the neighbor's door and tell her what's going on. She grabs one of her poodles to use as bait for Max and we head down to the pasture. After about 10 minutes (thank God Max was REALLY interested in the horses) we finally catch him.

All in all they were gone less than an hour. It took about 2 hours, but my heart rate and blood pressure did finally return to normal.

All the dogs will be taken out on leashes until the snow melts.

Mary and Donna? They were great sports about it all. And they learned a valuable lesson about NEVER EVER EVER trusting your Samoyed when the open range calls.

And Yes, they got their puppies and headed back to Houston without further incident.

Kelly explains the proper way to care for her babies

Wow. I bet Gary, Brie and Maria can't wait to see what happens when they pick up their puppies....