Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Economic Matters

Those of you have been with us from the beginning, or who have been paying attention to all the junk over there in the sidebar, know that when I decided to breed this litter I thought it would be interesting and educational to keep track of the costs required to produce a litter of puppies.


So far it's been pretty easy to itemize each thing as most have been one time costs. I did lump all of the costs of the initial breeding attempt into one post to make it all easier to follow.

But now we are starting to have recurring long term costs. Things like bedding pads. I use Depends bed pads. I had one pack left from my last litter and have bought two more. Yogurt. I've gone thru 6 containers of yogurt so far. And soon the electric bill will be coming. It will be interesting to see how last years October bill, with the house kept at about 65 degrees, matches up to this years with the house at 75 for two weeks. Not to mention a load of laundry every day instead of twice a week.

And in another week or two we'll have puppy food to buy.


What I've decided to do is create a separate post (which will follow this one) that I'll update when I make a purchase. Then put the lump sum amount on the sidebar.

As a side note you can really see already how much litter size matters in terms of breaking even or losing money. This litter has already cost almost $3000. If Kelly had only had 3 puppies (like Aliy did) I'd already be looking at losing money. With 7 there's hope I'll break even or better. The thing to remember is that good breeders are not in it for the money!!